Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Fire Within

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire"
                     - Ferdinand Foch

What do you think of when you look at a fire?

For me, I think of warmth, energy, and comfort.

Now, how does that translate to an inner fire, or as Ferdinand Foch said, a "soul on fire"?

Think of an activity or occurrence in your life that started a fire in you. I will give you an example. I found my fire through a combination of two things: serving as a missionary for my church, and being an assistant coach for a local high school football team. I learned that I loved teaching people and watching them grow. As a missionary I focused on spiritual teaching. As a coach I taught skills, strategies, and the mindset necessary for success on the field. In each situation I found myself in awe every time I witnessed the moment of comprehension. That moment when whatever I was teaching finally sunk in and made an impact.

Even though I felt that fire for teaching, I did not take steps to make it a recurring activity in my life.

Rewind a few years. My lovely wife, Alyssa, and I had just gotten married. We were young, in love, and excited for our future. My wife was in school, and preparing to apply for nursing school. I was working as a carpet cleaner, but planned to finish school with a business degree and start a small business. I soon discovered, as did Alyssa, that we were not passionate about either decision. Alyssa quickly had made a new plan, and is still sticking with it. She has always inspired me in that way! My heart, however, was not so easily tied down. I dreamed and dreamed, charged career decisions, and redefined my goals nearly as often as I changed my socks! I could not make up my mind.

My inability to make up my mind had terrible consequences. I fell into a depression. I no longer saw value in myself. I did not believe I could make a decision and follow through. What a terrible thought! I doubted my potential to be successful in any career, doubted my potential to be a good husband, and I just wanted to give up trying.

I fell so deep into depression that I could hardly get out of bed in the morning. When I would get to work, I would pull into the parking lot, sit in the van, and cry until I could muster up the courage to continue my day. I needed a change!

I sat down with my wife, we talked, cried together, and laid out a plan. For me, the solution was to change jobs and seek help. The job change was relatively painless, and I found loving support from my family, friends, and church community. Ultimately, I found great inspiration in books. Zig Ziglar and John C. Maxwell were the first authors whose words showed me a new way of thinking. For the first time in years, I started seeing life in a positive light. More importantly, I again saw value in myself! It felt as if the books "Better than Good" by Zig Ziglar, and John Maxwell's "The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth" were sent to me straight from heaven. Their inspiring words, combined with my love for teaching, is what inspired me to start this TrueYou project. I believe that everyone can unlock the same passion and fire that great leaders unlocked in me.

I also believe that the only thing holding many of us back from lighting the fire within are words of encouragement, and a plan. (Spoiler alert, I LOVE plans)

In order to make your passion a part of your daily life, you must first identify it. It is important to remember that I am not talking strictly about careers here. While for many, it is possible to turn your passion into a living, I believe everybody can love what they do for work, even if it isn't their number one passion. For some people, turning your passion into a job makes it unappealing. For example, my wife likes to do eyelash extensions for her family and some friends. She enjoys the company, the process, and the lovely results of a job well done. Making that her full time job would, for her, take all the fun out of it. She loves it for the fun, not the money, so she dedicates enough time to enjoy it, but not too much that she gets tired of it. What I am asking from you is to find something that adds value to your life in some way. Find it and hold on to it! It may be one single activity, or multiple. Whatever the number is, identify them. Identify why they bring you joy. Now make a plan to include these in your daily life. Whether it be carpentry, baking, or even both.

Now that you have identified what lights the fire in you, it is time for a plan. Ask yourself some questions.

Do I plan to make a career out of this? Am I willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make it a reality? How will I do it?

The hardest questions yield the most honest answers.

Your first step should be to find resources. Find people who do what you want to do, read books on the subject, find online sources. This will show you the way.

If you do not plan to make a career out of your passion (many don't) then you need to set some goals and boundaries for your newly discovered Fire Project (that's what we'll call it). If you love music but haven't quite mastered your instrument, or even begun learning, set a goal. Practice every day, or 4 times a week. Set your goal and stick to it. If you, like me, have a passion for coaching, or any number of seasonal activities, what will you do in the off season? Consider this. Take a few days each week (make a plan and stick to it) to develop leadership skills and your understanding of the game. This will make you an invaluable addition to any staff.

Also, set boundaries for your project. For example: a man who neglects to spend free time with his children because he chooses to spend it mountain biking (an otherwise admirable activity) has totally missed the point. He should instead find a balance. Your Fire Project should add value to you! If you are a father, it should make you a better father. Selfish activities, or activities without proper boundaries, should be cut right out of the picture. If it harms your relationship with others, you should reconsider. Find the balance. Enhance yourself. Once you start, you will be amazed at your feeling of accomplishment, growth, and satisfaction. And like a fire, as long as you feed it, those feelings will grow ever more!

Please share in the comments your Fire Project, the thing you do that brings you joy every day. For me, it is this TrueYou project.

"In everyone's life, at sometime, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit."
                       -Albert Schweitzer

If you have trouble lighting that fire, and finding that inspiration to start, reach out and lets make a plan to change that!

Let the fire within burn brighter, and find the TrueYou!

No comments:

Post a Comment